When a Permit is Required
Sec 110-9 Building Permits
Required. It shall be unlawful to commence the excavation for or the construction of any building or other structure, including accessory structures or to store building material, construct entrances or parking lots, commence the moving, structural alterations, conversions, extensions, enlargements, alteration or repair (except repairs consisting only of painting or wallpapering, changing the fixtures and reroofing in residential zones), of any structure, including accessory structures, until the building official has issued a building permit for such work. Permits for conditional uses must be reviewed by the City Council.
What repairs require permits?
- Permits must have inspections performed by the City Building Inspector.
- All new electrical work must have permits and must be done by a licensed electrician.
- Gas repairs must have a permit and repairs must be done by a licensed plumber.
- Sheetrock repairs that are done on the top floor exterior walls must have a permit, REScheck and must be inspected before being closed.
- Sheetrock repairs that are done on the bottom floor exterior walls must have a permit, REScheck and must be inspected before closed.
- All exterior door framing must have a permit, a REScheck for energy and wind and be inspected.
- All windows, exterior doors and insulation must have a permit and REScheck for energy efficiency and be inspected.
- A/C replacement & repairs must have a permit and the person doing the repair must have a HVAC license.