Swim Lesson Scholarship Program
Swim Lessons Save Lives
Drowning is the second leading cause of injury and death of infants and children younger than 15 years in the U.S. For every child who drowns, four children are hospitalized for near-drowning. Unfortunately, many families cannot afford the cost of swim lessons. We believe every child should have the opportunity to learn lifesaving swimming skills regardless of the ability to pay.
The Lake Jackson Parks and Recreation Department offers a scholarship fund to help those who do not have the financial means to participate in swim lessons. Scholarships are only available for youth up to age 17 years.
Who qualifies for a scholarship?
Scholarships are only available for families that meet at least one of the following:
- Participate in the Free and Reduced Lunch Program
- Receive subsidized housing (HUD)
- Receive Social Security benefits
- Youth applicant participates in the Head Start program
- Qualify for government-subsidized child daycare
- Currently receive Medicare or Medicaid assistance for the youth applicant
- Currently receive food stamps for the family
What can the scholarship be used for?
Scholarships are for public swim lessons only; private swim lessons or other aquatic programs do not qualify.
How to apply for a scholarship?
- Pickup an application from the Lake Jackson Recreation Center or Click HERE to download an application
- Submit the application to the Lake Jackson Recreation Center anytime during the year
- Completed applications should contain proof of the qualifying income assistance service received
- Applications will be reviewed and notifications will be provided within 10 business days of receipt
Donate to the Scholarship Fund
The scholarship program is made possible through donations from businesses and individuals. The number of scholarships and the maximum award amounts will vary from year to year based on the success of fundraising efforts.
How do I make a donation?
Donations are made at the Lake Jackson Recreation Center and can be made with cash, check, or credit card. Click HERE for a donation application.
How much should i give?
While no donation is too small or too big, a $40, donation will fund a two-week session of swim lessons for one child. Swimming is a skill every child should learn. Swimming adds fun and fitness to a child’s life, and most importantly, may one day save their life!